1. Although I would not consider ‘Antichrist’ to be a horror film, it is an extremely disturbing film that will leave you with a not so fresh taste in your mouth. Gainsbourg’s character remains unnamed and is simply referred to as ‘she’ or ‘the woman’. After losing her son tragically, her and her husband decide to retreat into the woods at their cabin known as ‘Eden’. Gainsbourg begins showing signs of mental instability, and honestly it all goes downhill from there. Her therapist husband tries to treat her himself, but she is so far gone, he can’t even FIND the tip of iceberg that is her craziness. Whatever women’s studies courses she is taking in school have subconsciously brainwashed her into believing women are evil and it is her responsibility to carry out the evil duties. Not only that, but she believes she is so evil she mutilates her own genitalia (cringe-worthy scene for sure). William Dafoe, who plays her husband in the movie, discovers little by little that she didn’t lose her mind from the death of their son, but she had been losing her mind prior. I can’t even express how much I love this movie and how much there will never ever be a character as horrific as Gainsbourg. As the movie progresses, we learn that she has systematically been “torturing” her toddler and that his death was way more preventable than the viewer originally thought. Since her toddler first began wearing shoes, Gainsbourg started putting his shoes on the wrong feet in order to stint the bone growth and cause him severe dysfunction in his walking abilities. Just being able to digest this fact alone, is nauseating. And to think it only gets worse….. We soon discover that Gainsbourg was fully aware that her toddler was able to break free of the child-proof gate she installed in his room. The icing on top of the cake of insanity, is when we find out that during the sexual intercourse that takes place between her and her husband at the beginning of the movie, she was actually watching her young toddler climb up onto the window sill and plunge 4 stories to his death. I’ll just give you a moment to take that all in. Its sexual perversion and family dysfunction all in one. And that is only half of her small family she tortures. The other half, her husband, she hunts down as if he is tonight’s dinner. She is just such an embodiment of pure evil, destroying everything and everyone (including herself) in her path, that she transforms into literally a monster by the end of the film. Such a seemingly normal family is destroyed by its wife and mother. This is scariest to me because she appears so normal in the beginning, and its hard to fathom that she has actually had this evil inside of her the whole time.
2. Takashi Miike may be one of my favorite directors out there, with his truly fucked up sense of gore and filth, so it is no surprise one of his characters takes the number 2 spot on my crazy bitch list. Who could forget angel-faced Asami? At probably only 90 pounds, she looks as harmless as they come. Her innocence, her openness, and her shyness are what initially fool the viewer as well as her current flame, Shigeharu. As Asami begins to reveal more about her past and the abuse she suffered, the viewer finally begins to realize that the angel-face is more like the face of Satan. This becomes the turning point and Asami transforms from poor girl you feel bad for to crazy bitch you only wish you could get away from. Judging by her methods of brutality and torture, I think its safe to say that she absolutely hates the male species with a passion. Laughing and giggling, she just can’t get enough of the pain she inflicts on others and her enjoyment in the torture is enough to nauseate the viewer. Its easy to fall into her “good girl” trap, but rest assured, its not so easy to get out.
3. The character simply known as the daughter in Greek film noir, ‘Singapore Sling’ has earned herself the number 3 spot on my crazy bitch countdown. Although this movie is not horror, it displays enough horrific acts that I want to slap an NC-17 rating on this baby. ‘Daughter’ is the spawn of two extremely disturbed individuals who take pleasure in sexual perversion on more levels than I care to elaborate in this short article. This bitch is ‘no’ on so many levels, I don’t even know where to begin. This chick is just straight crazy, and I think even without having fucked up insane parents, this chick would have been just as psycho. Fulfilling sexual fantasies with her mother, eating the guts and intestines of victims she has recently murdered, and finding it possible to orgasm while both playing with a gun and vomiting? This bitch never even had a chance. As an audience, you don’t even know who the daughter truly is, and the daughter can’t seem to get a grasp on who she is either because she is constantly living her life through various memories and characters she has created. She is completely isolated from all social norms and can hardly even function without one of her “role-playing” personalities coming out. As the film runs its course, it becomes apparent that no amount of medication or therapy could ever make this crazy bitch normal.
4. Psychological horrors always seem to introduce you to characters that are just completely off the wall in every single way. Marie is no exception. As much as I don’t want to give away the ending, I will try to keep this spoiler-free. Marie is seemingly normal to the audience, the other characters, and even herself. She goes to spend a weekend with one of her college friends, Alexia, at her family’s home on a quiet farm. A stunning string of murders in Alexia’s house, her whole family and even her dog, shows her that her and Marie are NOT alone, and they have some unwanted company in the house. *SPOILER ALERT*: Marie is the killer. I bet you didn’t see that coming…… A seemingly normal college girl kills Alexia’s whole family with her split personality in order to get closer to Alexia and have her all to herself. Its one thing when a bitch is just straight crazy, but then its a whole different (and more horrifying) story when a bitch doesn’t even know she has a second personality, especially one that has a knack for brutally killing. As the story progresses and Marie’s alter-ego comes out to play, you see what a creepy love-struck individual she really is. My favorite part is the ending of the movie, when Marie finally admits her love for Alexia. In a haunting fashion, she declares that she will never let her go. The last scene, where Marie is in a psychiatric hospital with Alexia watching through the one-way mirror, is definitely the most eerie scene in the movie. I may have already spoiled this movie enough, but its not til you get to the end of the film, in that last scene, where you really realize what a nutcase Marie is.
5. For the fifth crazy bitch in my “Craziest bitches in horror” countdown, I have chosen Lucie from French splatterific masterpiece, “Martyrs”. As the survivor of severe psychological, emotional, and physical abuse as a child, Lucie obviously had no chance of any type of normal adulthood, especially considering she spent the rest of her childhood in an orphanage after escaping her abusers. She is still haunted by images and memories of her abuse and that eventually drives her to complete madness. The hallucinations she experiences push her to insanity and she realizes she must kill her abusers. The moment she decided to get revenge on her abusers was the moment that this bitch completely LOST IT. I mean, here she is with a gun, brutally shooting up an entire family, all while her hallucinations are as vivid as ever. Finally, she just reaches her breaking point and slits her own throat in front of her best friend. Judging by the rest of the movie, it is heart wrenching to even think about what Lucie must have had to endure as a child and it becomes obvious as to how she lost her mind.